• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Q&A Coding excisions and repairs

marie barilla

Is there a coding sequence for excisions and repairs (intermediate or complex? I am currently reviewing for my CPC on May 28, using the AAPC Study guide. Specifically my question is on Chapter 4, questions 9 & 10. Question 9 involves the excision of a malignant lesion and sequences the excision first then the repair, question 10 involves an excision of a benign lesion, and sequences the repair followed by the excision......IS IT ME?? Just freaking out because my exam is around the corner? ugh

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
The short answer for the CPC exam is that they aren't going to test you on the order of the procedure codes because that information is not available in the manuals that they let you bring to the exam. The order of the ICD codes is often spelled out in the guidelines, so when it is, be sure to follow the guidelines for the diagnostic codes.

In the real world of coding you need to look up the RVUs for the procedure codes in a data base such as in an encoder like findacode.com. The RVUs can vary from one geographic location to another, and whether you are coding for a facility (such as a hospital) or non-facility (such as an office). Knowing the RVUs will allow you to code the procedures sequencing them from highest RVU to the lowest RVU. But the CPC exam cannot really expect you to know such details.

I don't have a current AAPC Study Guide so I cannot actually study the questions you are asking about but I'm guessing that the excision of a malignant lesion is more difficult than the repair, but the repair of a benign lesion is more difficult than the excision of the benign lesion. Unless you have access to RVU info you cannot know what the order of CPT codes should be, in general.

Remember your job during the CPC Exam is to choose the best of the 4 possible answer choices. Good luck on your exam!